Sunday, December 12, 2004

Wedding - fun or fan ?

December is a 'ong' month for weddings. I have a few friends who are involved in the wedding preparations for their family members or friends. Most of them have their own stories to complain and worry. I just think, why make things so complicated and get ourselves stress out for weddings wor …. Shouldn’t it be a process where both the bride and groom should enjoy the walk into their marriage life peacefully with sweet memories ? So far, I have not heard of one couple among my friends who went thru this without dissatisfaction.

This weekend, I attended a friend’s wedding dinner on Saturday, then helped up as ‘chee mui’ on Sunday morning. Thesedays, most of us ( the chee mui ) can only tahan half day till 12 noon. After the ceremony at the groom’s place, we usually headed home, and crawled to our bed for a rest … just felt so exhausted after the ceremony. I wonder how the bride and groom can go thru the whole complex ceremony, without having headache or taking pain killer !

Personally, I find this Chinese wedding ceremony tedious and a waste of energy, involved too many people and things, not forgetting the cost as well. Some couple spent RM 20k for weddings …siow ! However, to the old folks, those are the things expected and can’t be avoided, else cold war will happen.

Janice, the next bride to be in 2005, her mum initially openly said she doesn’t have to go thru the traditional ceremony. But when reality comes, her mum now changed her mind and insisted for the traditional ceremony. So, there she goes ….her pening moment is coming soon ! And I am preparing my ears and hands-free kit to listen to her ‘san’ pretty soon ….

Then something on the western side, last friday night, I was in Cyberview Lodge for company dinner. There was a westen roman style garden wedding. The whole garden was decorated with nice flowers and candles, and a jazz band performing live music, formal dress code, all looking good and elegant…. this was something different from the Chinese wedding that I always attend. Most of the ladies in my group - mata besar, and mouth kept saying ‘oh, so so romantic, so nice …so sweet …..’, guess in our mind, we were dreaming of our garden wedding kut !

OK , 3 days surrounded with ‘wedding’ , I have enough …..

I’m glad to be there for my 5’ 9” tall friend’s wedding. May she enjoys her new chapter of life …

No comments: