Saturday, January 08, 2005

How does old folk think ?

Topic related to aging again …… My mum is seeing doctors at the government hospital for 1 year, on her high blood and high cholesterol problem. Lately, we brought her to a private hospital. She was put on complete new medication. We could see huge difference. In government hospital, whenever her blood pressure (bp) was high, those doctors ( may be practicing ) would increase the dosage, from 1 mg to 5 mg, to 10 mg. Then followed up 3 months later and see another doctor, then another cycle again. With this private doctor, we have a aim, a goal on what need to be achieved, without taxing mum’s body and health. This doctor wants to bring mum’s bp from 200/90 to her ideal bp of 130/80. Private doctor also told us that one of the medicine prescribed from government hospital is already withdrawn from UK 5 years ago, yet here, in Malaysia, we are still using them. I’m glad we could have the choice to seek second opinion privately, money does play a role here ….

Emily doesn’t trust Malaysian doctors. She kept saying the way they diagnose are too simple, not thorough. I told her that’s why the medical expenses are cheaper as compared to US or western countries. I suppose there is a trade off on everything ….

Ringgit, may be 40% tax in Australia is not too bad after all, if one can enjoy the benefit later … We pay slightly lower taxes in Malaysia, so ?? When I old nanti, I don’t have confidence going to government’s subsidized agencies for treatment wor …

Back to mum, 1 year on old medication, no improvement at all. Now with the new drugs, first day her bp dropped all the way from 200/90 to 120/83. Hit the ideal target. That’s the power of doing things right, taking the right medicines. But it also comes with high cost.

What agitate me was, she experienced a few side effects such as dizziness, feel like vomiting, stomach not feeling good, sweats for days. Yet when we called her and checked on her, she kept quiet. I think her mindset is not to trouble her kids, thus she rather not telling us the truth and not seeing doctor. My sisters said that is STUBBORN. What is in her mind? She rather suffers ? Should I be upset with her or should I be empathized with her ? one thing for sure, I was mad at her initially , bad daughter …..

Mah Lau shared his grandparents stories with me as well, their mentality think alike … Aiii, dealing with old folk – is an art , I guess …. One day, I’ll be in that shoe, may be then I’ll understand more. As of now, I just want my mum to be healthy and happy. She'll be 70 years old in October. 'Seventy', to me, that is a BIG number. Like it or not, as the number increase, the frequency to doctors is likely to increase, and she also has to add on more medicines ....well, part of the aging process. Let's flip the coin, now the more we should treasure her while she's with us....I promise to go home minimum once a week to have dinner with her :)

No comments: