Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Make a difference

Today I did a few things which I think are good ...
a) I sent a nice email to an editor, for all the hardwork she did endlessly - for the past 89 weeks. It's the end of the publication. She did some small little things (which others may not noticed) - but I think is important sometimes, for us to just slow down, take some time - just to smile, say Hi to the people we are working closely with .....after I sent her the nice email. I forwarded the email to her manager, seeking if she could be recognized. Great mind thinks alike, and her manager immediately replied me that he was already in the midst of preparing one for her, and he was amazed that I interupted him with the same thoughts :)

b) My company has a few sites, 2 in Northern part, 2 in KL and nearby. HQ is in PG. Whenever there are any talks, events or any activities, they are organized in Northern region. In a way, this creates an impression that my current work site is 'neglected' or 'ignored' ( it is a super small site ). HQ organized an "Investment Talk', and again, we didn't get it. So, I contacted the site HR manager, voiced the concern, trying to work out something ......by 5pm, approval granted, the talk is going to be held in my working site as well ..wow ! I can't wait to spread the good news to my fellow colleagues tomorrow. Everyone wants to be 'special' sometimes, having the speaker onsite is a great privilege, and I'm sure my fellow colleagues will appreciate this, and speak highly on the management :)

c) A group of users from India are so frustrated trying to find out the owner of an application, because the data sent into their application is invalid, and causing hectic, sleepless nights to them. When this escalated to me, I'd to read an extremely LONG email with a lot of attachments and old old stories ....and I truly feel how frustrated they are - just trying to find the source owner ......I could have just replied email said 'Sorry, there's nothing related to me', but I decided to help them as much as I can. Called the team leader, shared some ideas, then I gathered my analysis and some investigation work, passed them a job chains report, showing the input/output and dependencies. When the team received this, they got a better picture, and knew who to contact next to solve their problems. The whole 'deadlock' is resolved, things are moving :), I sense they will get the right support soon ....

So, I've make some differences to others, and help make others' lives better , put a smile on others ......and now, it's my turn to settle my own problems, coz I need more smiles on my face, for tomorrow is a new day ......

No comments: