Sunday, May 08, 2005

我最敬爱的母亲大人 ......

My mum was born on the year of 1935, at this place which is now called ‘The Mall’ shopping complex, opposite PWTC. Her childhood and early adulthood happened in those area called ‘Chow Kit’ or Jalan Tiong Nam or Batu Road or the Mall area. She only had 1 year of education ( standard one aje), because grand mother stopped her from schooling.

At the age of 8, she stayed at home washed clothes for customers, from early morning to late night.
At the age of 13, besides being a ‘manual dobi’, she also took on ironing tasks. Back then she need to burn hot charcoal – used the antique steel iron, can imagined the hot sweaty moments. She was sort of locked at home – at the little hut - to do wash & iron tasks until 15 years old.
At the age of 15, she worked in kilang as a factory worker, sewed luggage bags. She’d experienced World War II when Japan was invading Malaysia. Mum said she saw the dead people buried or some buried hidup2 at ‘Hanku Jaya’.
At the age of 19, she found an opportunity to work as a housekeeper for 2 English women from England. Mum enjoyed that job, because it’s an escape from the little hut, she gained independence from grand mother, stayed with the English women, took care of them. There were a few things which spice up her life – she learned some simple English, learned to eat Ham, learned to prepare English afternoon tea etc etc …
At the age of 22, she met my tall handsome daddy, dated 6 months, and viola – married. Then started the family loh , and promoted to housewife and full time mum since then.

I have high respect for my mother. She is a very capable,wonderful, amazing woman. She devoted her whole life for her family, not selfish for herself, whatever she does, they are for the benefits of her children and not herself. Having Teddy Bear around, her life is pretty much stuck with him. As I’m counting Q1, Q2 and my yearly resolutions….she's aging graciously, getting smaller and smaller. Nowadays, my sisters and I have to bring her to various doctors, pity her that she has to take a few medicines
. But at her age, she is still doing excellent on her health – she has more energy than me. Opssss.

Even though I found out that she was reluctant to stay with me. I respect her choice, but I'm still wishing hard for 'that day' to come, I just want to spend more time with her, be able to greet her daily, to shower her with loves and great company....家有一老, 有如一宝. She's work too hard to bring her children to where they are now today, we have to value, treasure her while she is still with us .... For my dearest mummy - Happy Mother's Day ! Everyday or every weekend with you is Mother's Day - love u so so so much :)

1 comment:

rotitelur said...

Kimmikuniya, my eyes have tears when I read your blog because I can see your love for your mum and at that same time I have no love for mine. Now that I am planning to have a baby, I am very afraid my baby will have no love for me too in future.